The University Transition Opportunities Program (UTOP) began in 1986 to facilitate the underrepresented student's transition from high school to college. By involving incoming UNC Charlotte freshmen in a rigorous six-week summer collegiate experience, UTOP builds upon the scholastic abilities of the students through college courses and contact with University academic support services.
For more information about UTOP, please contact Shawn Simmons.
How UTOP Works
- Participants enroll in 3 classes together for a total of 7 credit hours
- Participants develop study skills and college survival tips by working with counselors from the University Center for Academic Excellence
- Participants enhance writing abilities through weekly appointment with tutor from the Writing Resource Center
- Participants receive academic advising and monitoring continue throughout the students’ freshmen year
- Participate in weekend extra-curricular activities
2015 UTOP: 30th Anniversary
Application Available (March 9, 2015)
Application located inside Student Banner Self Service Account
49er Express Link / Self Service Banner
UTOP Summer Program Application Steps