The University Transition Opportunities Program (UTOP) began in 1986 to facilitate the underrepresented student's transition from high school to college. By involving incoming UNC Charlotte freshmen in a rigorous six-week summer collegiate experience, UTOP builds upon the scholastic abilities of the students through college courses and contact with University academic support services.
How UTOP Works
- Participants enroll in 3 classes together for a total of 7 credit hours
- Participants develop study skills and college survival tips by working with counselors from the University Center for Academic Excellence
- Participants enhance writing abilities through weekly appointment with tutor from the Writing Resource Center
- Participants receive academic advising and monitoring continue throughout the students’ freshmen year
- Participate in weekend extra-curricular activities