So now that you've been accepted to UNC Charlotte, why wait for the fall? Get a head start on your college career by participating in the University Transition Opportunities Program (UTOP)!
UTOP began in 1986 to facilitate the underrepresented student's transition from high school to college. By involving incoming UNC Charlotte freshmen in a rigorous six-week summer collegiate experience, UTOP builds upon the scholastic abilities of the students through college courses and contact with University academic support services.
For more information about UTOP, please contact Mr. Shawn Simmons.
How UTOP Works
- Participants enroll in classes together for a total of 7 credit hours
- Participants develop study skills and college survival tips by working with counselors from the University Center for Academic Excellence
- Participants enhance writing abilities through weekly appointment with tutor from the Writing Resource Center
- Participants receive academic advising and monitoring continue throughout the students’ freshmen year
- Participate in weekend extra-curricular activities
- Research from the past 10 years indicates that students who participate in UTOP were retained after one year at a rate nearly 11 percent higher than underrepresented students who did not attend the program and almost 13 percent higher than all first-time, full-time freshmen.
- The percentage of UTOP students who graduated after six years was more than 11.5 percent higher than underrepresented students who did not participate and 10 percent high than all first-time, full-time freshmen.
UTOP 2018: July 2 - August 10, 2018
Applications open November 1, 2017 and close June 28, 2018.